- 7 Nights at CountryBred approved, deluxe accommodations
- Private luxury chauffeur for all intercity travel, day trips and excursions
- Airport / Train station transfers with baggage assistance
- Private touring with professionally licensed local guides and cultural experts
- Flexible guided time with local experts based upon your preference
- 3 Gourmand dinners
- 5 Regionally authentic lunches
- Exclusive winery visits and tastings
- Daily breakfasts
- Museum tickets & entrance fees
- All gratuities & taxes
- Traveler welcome package including customized Culture Guide
- Please note that transfers to airports/train stations outside of Rome for arrival and Florence for departure, are available upon request for an additional, supplemental fee. Airfare is not included.
- A personalized and private travel experience, whether you’re a solo voyager, a couple, group of friends, family or an organization
- A well crafted itinerary that is a reflection of your cultural interests, which we bring to life through our unparalleled insider knowledge, local access and dedicated team
- A thoughtful travel pace that leads you down roads less traveled while leaving time to enjoy the quiet moments that make for remarkable memories
- Enriching activities that immerse you in local culture and traditions
- Premium accommodations that are distinct reflections of the regions they reside in, with real histories and real people behind them
- Regional ambassadors and local cultural experts that go beyond educating, to invite you into their community and introduce you to their unique corner of the world.
- Authentic dining that ensures you enjoy the finest in regional culinary traditions from quaint family owned eateries to innovative Michelin-starred restaurants. Each meal is in itself a work of art, passionately prepared and uniquely local.
Antique Rome to Etruscan Tuscany
Sample 8-Day Private Tour Itinerary
Rome, Tivoli, Tarquinia, Tuscania, Maremma Wine Country, Saturnia
The wonder of archaeology meets the joy of cuisine in this journey through ancient Rome and southern Tuscany’s Maremma region. Arrive in Rome and be greeted by your private chauffeur who will transport you to your deluxe hotel located in a 13th century medieval tower. After check-in, be welcomed by a resident Roman archaeologist and begin your study of the ancients with a visit to an underground Roman Domus before setting off for a detailed exploration of the Circus Maximus and Forum. End your day with an elegant dinner of Roman specialties like Carciofi Alla Giudia and local pastas in the city’s ancient Jewish quarter.
Embark on a scenic barge ride down the Tiber River before arriving at the ancient seaport of Ostia Antica. Explore its renowned ruins with an expert archaeologist. Stop for a typical Roman seafood lunch before returning to Rome for a free afternoon and evening.
Venture beyond Rome’s city limits to the picturesque town of Tivoli for a look at Hadrian’s 2nd century villa, which combines elements of ancient Egyptian and Greek architecture. Enjoy a lunch of regional country specialties and breathtaking panoramic views before making your way to the famed gardens and fountains of Villa D”Este in the afternoon. Return to Rome at the end of the day for a free evening to enjoy the city at your leisure.
Spend your final day in Rome with an exclusive bike ride along the famed Via Appia, led by a local archaeologist. Stop along the way for a sumptuous lunch where you’ll dine like the ancients on recipes preserved from antiquity. In the afternoon, return to Rome to enjoy a free evening.
From the heart of the Roman Empire make your way north to the UNESCO honored Etruscan town of Tarquinia, where you’ll engaged in a privately guided exploration of its rock cut necropolis that dates back to 7 BC. Stop for a sampling of organically prepared dishes at a local country farm before making your way to the onetime Etruscan capital of Tuscania, also revered for its beautifully preserved medieval architecture. In the early evening make your way through the stunning landscapes of Tuscany’s Maremma and settle into your historic farmhouse turned eco-conscious country estate nestled amongst olive groves in the valley of the Albegna river. Indulge in a special feast where the farm’s artisanal food products serve as delicious cornerstones of the meal.
In the morning relax at your historic farmhouse before embarking on a scenic horseback ride through the area’s surrounding countryside. End your ride with a typical Tuscan lunch. In the afternoon explore the province’s acclaimed Montecucco wine route that dates back to the Etruscan era, by enjoying a series of exclusive vintner’s tastings and cantina visits along the path while sampling small bites of locally produced meats and cheeses.
End your archeological and gastronomical adventure by visiting the ancient thermal springs of Saturnia, celebrated for the therapeutic properties of their naturally sulfurous waters. In the evening indulge in an elegant farewell dinner of Tuscan grilled meats and homemade pastas.
Depart Southern Tuscany for your return flight home or the next leg of your trip.- As part of our Enriched Booking process your customized itinerary will be designed with the assistance of a CountryBred specialist. -This trip can be specifically tailored for organizations, associations and corporate incentives.
The recommended tour length for this sample itinerary is 8 days/7 nights with pricing options beginning at $4,800/person. Please note that the “Share Bred With Friends” preferred pricing program will be applied to travel parties of four or more.
The final price of your custom tour will be determined by your travel party size, departure dates, trip length, amount of meals included, percentage of guided time requested, cities chosen in your itinerary and signature CountryBred excursions selected. This sample itinerary can also be crafted for solo travelers.
Included in this sample CountryBred Encounter are:
Featured Deluxe Hotels
Located just steps away from the iconic Piazza Venezia in the classical heart of Rome, Torre Colonna is a sophisticated haven housed within one of the city’s most ancient medieval towers. Built in 1247 by the noble Colonna family, the tower stood at the edge of the family’s residence, a fortification that served to defend the property against attacks by foreign invaders and the power-hungry maneuvers of rival aristocratic families. The first inhabitant to actually live within the tower was Francesco Colonna, Count of Romagna and close friend of the great poet Francesco Petrarca (Petrarch).
A 19th century series of stone farmhouses surrounded by the sun-drenched Maremma countryside, now comprises the sprawling Terre Brune Hotel resort. Situated amongst lush groves of olive trees and the area’s signature crimson earth, the resort is flanked by the River Albegna and lies just outside of the medieval town of Roccalbegna. What once served as working farmhouses have now been completely refurbished into an exclusive resort featuring guest rooms and common areas that are simply but elegantly decorated in the rustic Tuscan style, immersing visitors in an atmosphere of calming luxury, while paying homage to the property’s heritage with design materials of iron, stone, wood and earth.
Encounter Something Unexpected
Experiential travel takes time, passion and local ingredients to make something truly special. When you travel with CountryBred, you can look forward to the following:
Authentic is Premium